CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Salsa and Guacamole

If you are familiar with Los Hermanos, you know they have fabulous salsa. Last year I did my best to come up with a salsa recipe that, to me, tasted like theirs. This was a close as I could get. It's super quick and easy and can be made year-round. I don't remember if I've posted this recipe before or not, but I always make it with the pork recipe I posted yesterday, so I figured I'd just post it again.

Salsa

Ingredients:

1 (14-1/2 oz.) can tomatoes and green chilies, drained
1 (14-1/2 0z.) can whole canned tomatoes, drained
2-3 tsp. diced or sliced jalapenos, (not pickled)
1/4 of a yellow onion
3/4 tsp. garlic salt (NOT powder)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. sugar
juice from 1/2 a lime
1/4 bunch of cilantro (more or less to taste, none if you prefer)

Directions:
Combine everything in blender, and blend until desired consistency. Place in covered container and chill for at least 6 hours to blend and enrich the flavors.


Guacamole

Mash 2 ripe avocados. Mix in 1/2 cup of salsa (more or less to taste), 1/8-1/4 cup homemade ranch dressing, and juice from half a lime. Salt to taste.

4 comments:

Leah said...

Yummy you're posting all the good ones. We will be there on the
25th can I request some guacamole?

Sarah said...

It'll be waiting for you! Along with some delicious chips and a variety of other dips. Mmmmm.....

Anonymous said...

Dear Los-Hermonos Salsa Advoate,

Love your recipe for a Los Hermonos-like salsa. I'm an Huge fan of the salsa myself. And, in the past worked as someone who picked apart food to test it. As I've done the same at los hermonos, I can tell there are a lot more spices the recipe, but you're right, it's tough to pick out without going hard core into the lab. BUT, I can tell from picking it apart, that black pepper and red pepper (flakes) are definately in there. Hope it may help some. Warm regards,
cameron broadbent

cameron said...

Dear Los-Hermonos Salsa Advoate,

Love your recipe for a Los Hermonos-like salsa. I'm an Huge fan of the salsa myself. And, in the past worked as someone who picked apart food to test it. As I've done the same at los hermonos, I can tell there are a lot more spices the recipe, but you're right, it's tough to pick out without going hard core into the lab. BUT, I can tell from picking it apart, that black pepper and red pepper (flakes) are definately in there. Hope it may help some. Warm regards,
cameron broadbent