CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

~Mango Salsa~

So it's snowing here today. HARD!! And it's sticking. Since I don't have dinner rotation this week, I thought I'd make something easy and tasty that reminds me of summertime. Jake, Summer, and I love this stuff. Fax and Brook will not try it. (Oh well, more for me.) It's great to just eat with chips. (Tostitos whole grain chips are my favorite with it.) But it's also excellent on top of grilled chicken, salmon, or pork chops. Thanks for the recipe Becky!

Mango Salsa

Ingredients:
1/2 cup black beans (from a can, rinsed)
1 medium mango, cut into cubes *
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 medium red onion, diced
3 TBSP. pineapple juice**
juice from one lime
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, diced
1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Directions:
Mix all ingredients with salt to taste. Put in air tight container in fridge for at least one hour (if you can wait that long), & up to three days.
Makes about 4 cups.

Possible substitutions:
* Instead of fresh mango (which is very seasonal and tricky to pick out) I use 6 oz. of pre-cut, frozen mangoes. I just thaw them and cut them up into smaller pieces.
**I keep frozen concentrated pineapple juice in my freezer. Then when I need some for this recipe, I take 1 Tablespoon of the concentrate and mix it with 2 Tablespoons of warm water.

0 comments: