CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mashed Potatoes

I know, who can't make mashed potatoes? But I never used to make them because I hate peeling, boiling, poking them with a fork to find out if they're done. Plus, if you have to make a lot of them I always ended up having to use two huge pots just to make enough. Then I discovered making them this way:

Ingredients:
6 large Russet baking potatoes
4-8 TBSP. butter (you can use margarine, but why would you?)
1/2 cup milk (more fat content, the tastier & creamier)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Clean outside of potatoes and pierce with knife or fork. Bake potatoes for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until soft. Allow to cool for 15-45 minutes. (That's one of the nice things. You can make these a little ahead and they stay hot.) Cut open potatoes and scoop into bowl. Discard peelings. Add butter and milk and mash to desired consistency. I prefer these with just some salt and pepper, but my family likes to make "gravy lakes."

My husband says they taste way better when you bake the potatoes than when you boil them. I don't have that refined of a palate, I just think they're easier. We usually have these with Cheesy Bacon Meatloaf. I'll try and post that recipe tomorrow.

0 comments: