CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 12, 2010

Amanda & Dave's Chicken Chili

A few weeks ago, we were up in Farmington visiting Amanda and Dave. I've known Amanda for over 20 years. I know, I can't believe it's been that long either. Our friend, Michele, was there too. It was really fun because Amanda just had her second baby, and I hadn't seen Michele for years. Moving on, Amanda served us Chicken Chili for dinner. It was very tasty and all my kids really liked it. Fax seemed to like it too. So I tried my hand at it this week when Amanda emailed me the recipe. I used a couple of different things, just because that's what I had, but my kids still liked it, and it's very filling. I served it with cornbread. (If you want my recipe for cornbread click here.)

Amanda & Dave's Chicken Chili

1 small onion, diced
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed

In a large pot, saute onion and garlic in butter until soft. Then add:

2-3 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
2 cans Bush's Northern Beans
2 cups water
3 chicken bullion cubes
1 can sweet white corn
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
8 oz sour cream
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Cook and stir until hot. Serve with grated cheese.

Here are Amanda's notes she sent me:
I hate getting stinky hands from cutting onions and using real garlic. So I always use dehydrated onion and garlic powder. And I use Costco canned chicken breast (2 cans, I think they're 12 oz. each). Great food storage meal - everything but the cheese and sour cream is canned or dry.

These are the changes that I made, with what I had:
I diced two very large chicken breasts (1-1/2 pounds) because I got a great deal on chicken this week. Anyway, I cooked the onion for about 5 minutes, then I added the chicken and cooked them together until the chicken was almost done. Then I added the garlic for the last 2 minutes or so. (I used 1 TBSP of the minced garlic you can buy in the jar.) I also substituted one can of navy beans, because I only had one can of Northern Beans.

This was very yummy and also not too spicy for kids. I think if you really wanted it spicier you could let people add some hot sauce to their bowls. Thanks Amanda and Dave!

0 comments: