CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

I found this recipe on Kraftfoods and it looked tasty, so I figured I'd try it. Well, I've made some slight changes, mostly with the amounts. All my kids gave this recipe a "thumbs-up." Fax liked it too, although he usually isn't home in the evenings to eat with us. I tell you this because I made this recipe in an 8x8 square baking dish and it feeds me and the kids with some left over, but if Fax were going to be eating with us, or if I had another child, etc. I would consider doubling it or having some additional side dishes.

Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:

1 to 1-1/2 pounds of chicken, cubed
1/4 cup Kraft Zesty Italian dressing
3 cups frozen vegetables (I used broccoli, peas, and carrots - but use what you like)
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz. Velveeta, cubed (Yes, generic brand is fine.)
1 sheet of puff pastry

Directions:

Remove one sheet of puff pastry from the freezer and allow to thaw on the counter for about an hour. (Puff pastry is located in the freezer section by the Cool-Whip and ready-made pie crusts. It comes in sheets and dessert cups. There are 2 sheets per box.) Preheat oven to 400 F.
In a large skillet, heat the dressing and add the chicken and veggies. Cook and stir until the chicken is cooked through. Add the soup and stir. Add the Velveeta and give it a quick stir. You don't have to let it melt; it will do that in the oven. Pour into a greased 8x8 square baking dish.
Open thawed pastry sheet and cut vents in it. I usually cut four leaf-shaped slits because they're easy, and then I put the pieces I cut out in between the slits. But you can be creative and even use tiny cookie-cutters if you wanted.
Place baking dish on a sheet pan and bake for about 25 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn. If one side is browning faster than another, just rotate it. You definitely want the baking sheet under it because it will very likely ooze out a bit. And don't put this on your top rack in your oven, because the puff pastry really does puff.

I didn't serve this with anything because I think it's pretty complete on its own. But you could serve it with a salad, rolls, or biscuits. Let me know if you try it, and if you like it or not!

P.S. JoAnna, I'm so excited you read my food blog. I didn't know anyone read it! I'm flattered, and I LOVE comments. (Hint, hint...)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah, I follow your blog because you are a such great cook! I think my family would really like this recipe, so I'll have to give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes. With my family, I'll definitely have to double it.

Sarah said...

It's never a bad thing to double the recipe. The left-overs are tasty too! And I'm flattered that you think I'm a good cook. I mostly consider myself a lazy cook!